Information for Professionals and Businesses
Professionals (Health, social care and education)
If you are a professional working in health or social care or education, there are many ways in which you can support carers. Think carer. Many carers do not think of what they do as being a carer – they see their role simply as looking after a loved-one. There are around 60,000 carers in Sheffield, many of whom are ‘hidden’ and do not know that support is available for them. You can help by being proactive in identifying carers.
Here are some ways you can help:
- Make sure that carers know about Sheffield Carers Centre, signpost them to our services and encourage them to register with us. When a carer registers we send them a welcome pack with information about our services and they receive a monthly E-newsletter with useful updates for carers.
- If you are concerned about the carer and they need our services, you can make a referral by downloading the referral form (please click find here). We will then complete a Carers Needs Assessment, which aims to put in place support to continue the caring role and improve the wellbeing of the carer.
- Be ‘carer aware’ and treat carers as partners in care by listening to their views and involving them appropriately.
Do you know if any of your employees have caring responsibilities? Many carers do not talk about their caring situation at work. They may be struggling to juggle their paid employment with caring for a family member.
Here are a few ways you can help:
- Take an interest in their caring situation and support then as much as possible. There are good practice tips, which you can find detailed here.
- Make sure that carers know about Sheffield Carers Centre, signpost them to our services and encourage them to register with us. When a carer registers with us we send them a welcome pack with information about our services and they receive a monthly E-newsletter with useful updates for carers .
- Sheffield City Council works with Employers for Carers to help SMEs support and keep hold of the carers in their workforces. Practical resources, advice and information is available online at efcdigital.org and is designed to help you look after staff who are juggling work alongside caring for someone.
If you are interested in the umbrella membership of Employers for Carers, you can click here to find out more.
- Please contact Sheffield Carers Centre if you would like a discussion about carers in your workplace.