Balancing finances as a carer can be quite challenging and confusing, particularly when starting to look into residential care.

Depending on circumstances, there may come a point when you ask Adult Social Care (Social Services) to pay for, or contribute to, the cost of permanent residential care.  Something most people need to be aware of is what Sheffield City Council can count as ‘Deprivation of Assets’ which is when you might have given some money away (perhaps to a family member) or spent a large amount of money on something big (such as a holiday or a new car) and this can be interpreted as deliberately depriving yourself of money in order to be entitled to the costs being covered by Sheffield City Council.  It is something which is worth keeping in mind to avoid being in a tricky financial situation. More details can be found in the following factsheet, produced by Age UK: Deprivation of Assets Factsheet

For further advice on this, or to discuss benefits entitlement, or how to access debt advice, please contact the Carer Advice line on 0114 272 8362. More advice about Debt, particularly in relation to mental health, is available here.

Emergency Financial Support:

The Carers Trust has a great article about accessing emergency financial support available here. You can also phone a Carer Advisor on 0114 272 8362 to discuss your situation. There is also Sheffield City Council’s Local Assistance Scheme which you can find more about here.