When caring comes to an end

Caring for someone may be a large part of your life, but it is inevitable at some point, this role will change. This could be because the person you have been supporting recovers, or because someone else takes over the care for them. Or it could be that they have not been able to stay at home and are in a care or nursing home, or they may have died. In all these cases, it is important not to underestimate the impact that this might have on you. The following websites offer a bit of support during this transition time, as well as practical advice for what needs to be done or how to ensure you have contacted all the relevant professionals.



Benefits when the person you care for is away from home

It is important to contact the Department of Work and Pensions to let them know once someone moves into hospital or a care home for long term support. The person you care for would stop receiving a disability benefit after 4 weeks (usually). Following that you would also no longer be able to receive Carers Allowance after this time. (Though, if the person is paying for their place in the care home and you are still providing a lot of care, you may still be able to receive Carer’s Allowance.)

If you received a carer premium with means-tested benefits, this will continue for an extra eight weeks after your Carer’s Allowance stops. Details about which number to call in order to inform the DWP should be included on any letters you receive from them. For more information on this in your situation, please contact the Carers Support and Information Line on (0114) 272 8362.

What to do when someone dies

The following sites carry useful information about what you need to do when someone dies:





For support with grief:


 Last revised: 23 May 2013